Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Human connection

I just got excited about an exchange with a stranger. A girl asked me in Estonian what bus we were on today and I answered her back, with a stupid grin on my face. Why did this make me so happy? Because Estonians NEVER talk to strangers on public transport. Notoriously known for being introverted, they are usually content in their little bubbles, avoiding all eye and body contact. Everyone choo-choo-ing on their own little track of life, either unwilling or afraid to diverge off their course. 
I find it both lonely and comforting at the same time. It is nice to be able to relax in my solitary bubble without being worried about coming off as rude or impolite, but often find myself craving this type of spontaneous human connection with strangers. 

Just for the record, once you do eventually break down the barrier and get to know Estonians, they are kind, welcoming and make great friends. 

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful. I love random connections with strangers. like when there's no room to sit and you ask to borrow a seat at the coffee shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One bubble popped, who knows where this might lead? Something to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to try an experiment of initiating a conversation and seeing what happens.

    ReplyDelete